HowToForums.net Forum Index HowToForums.net
An Open Source of Knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Macbook external mouse sluggish...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HowToForums.net Forum Index -> Mac Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Macbook external mouse sluggish... Reply with quote

So you bought a macbook or macbook pro, hooked up an external mouse, or even bluetooth mouse and it just doesn't feel right...
The mouse speed seems to accelerate fine but is completely inaccurate when you need to click on an "x" to close a window or anything that requires a precision click.
There seems to be this weird drag to it, and it is annoying as heck.
You mite have tried several different external mice and all seem to have the same behavior...

Worry no more! we have a solution for you!

The Problem:
OS X mouse acceleration is using the same preferences for your trackpad / touchpad and your external mouse. Basically it is not distinguishing between your external mouse and trackpad mouse system preferences.

The Solution:
There is actually 2 directions to fix this, and I will list them in order of my preference.
The best is to find an OS X driver from the manufacturer for your specific mouse...yes, that's right, you heard it "driver"...and no I am not confused with Windows...
If you run a google search like this, you will understand exactly what I am talking about:
Code:

microsoft mouse driver site:apple.com
logitech mouse driver site:apple.com

yup, it is there and it will make your pain go away.

Checkout these links as well:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=MK
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/drivers/

The second approach, if your using some non-brand mouse, is to buy software that fixes / tweaks the OS X settings for you behind the scenes.
The most common ones are:
SteerMouse
USB Overdrive
Honestly, if your gonna spend money, you mite as well just buy a mouse that has drivers.

BTW...this phenomena seems to occur only in macbooks and not in mac desktops, specifically because of the conflict with the trackpad.

Enjoy!,
Jacob

"Mac, Linux, Windows...all got issues, but at least there is choice..."

for search engines
mac os x external mouse inaccurate
mac os x external mouse drag
leopard external mouse problem
10.5 external usb bluetooth mouse issue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HowToForums.net Forum Index -> Mac Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: