Joined: 16 Mar 2006
|Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:55 pm Post subject: How can I add a new RDP listening port to Windows 2000/2003
|The default listening port for Terminal Server aka Remote Desktop Connection is 3389
Adding an additional Terminal Server Listening Port can be done only by manually modifying the registry.
1. Run Regedit.exe on your Terminal Server.
2. Navigate to the following key:
|HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp
3. Make a backup of the key before you modify it using the "Export" feature. Right Click the entire key... File>Export to a .REG
4. Save it somewhere with a name and path you will remember.
5. Right Click and Edit the .REG file you've just created and change the name of the key at the 3rd line of the file to something like:
|HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp-Additional
6. In the .REG file find (use CTRL+F)
and change it to whatever port you want. Make sure you write it in hexadecimal format. For example, for 3390 you must enter D3E (use calculator in scientific mode to easily convert decimal to hexadecimal format).
7. Import the .REG file back to the registry by double-clicking on it.
8. If you have a firewall, either windows Built in or any other firewall you will have to open the new port you have entered on the Terminal server.
9. You can test the modified server by connecting with an RDP client of any sort...whether it be.
XP RDP 5.1 client
Windows Server 2003 RDP 5.2 client
Linux rdesktop known as TSclient if you have the latest Gnome
You must enter the address/port in the following format when connecting from a client -
<IpAddress : port>
This document contains instructions for editing the registry. If you make any error while editing the registry, you can potentially cause Windows to fail or be unable to boot, requiring you to reinstall Windows. Edit the registry at your own risk. Always back up the registry before making any changes. If you do not feel comfortable editing the registry, do not attempt these instructions. Instead, seek the help of a trained computer specialist.
for search engines
rdp listening port
howto change rdp port
howto add rdp port
How to change Terminal Server's listening port
How can I add a new RDP listening port to Windows 2000/2003
Change Terminal Server Listening Port
"You only see what your eyes want you to see"