HowToForums.net Forum Index HowToForums.net
An Open Source of Knowledge

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't enter password

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HowToForums.net Forum Index -> Servers & Applications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tgp1994

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Can't enter password Reply with quote

Yay, my account activated! Anyways, to get started, I'm probably a complete n00b. I just want some sort of solution that will let me use full websites (with mySQL, php, the whole caboodle) on my own computer. I already have VMWare workstation installed, with Ubuntu Server as well as Vubuntus. The only problem is, on both OSes, I can't type in my password. Weather it's the GUI in VBNTU or the command prompt style in the server, it just won't let me type in the password. I can enter the username, but then the password prompt comes up, I'll try to type but nothing happens. Of course I can hit Enter, but then it says wrong password/user. Any help please? P.S. On the VBNTU OS, I'm trying to install the VMWare tools but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to start the installation once I click Install VMWare tools... from the VMWare toolbar.

Thanks!

Whew.
jacob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome,
The reason you do not see the password entered is that it is hidden.
If you are seeing that the Username is being typed in correctly, then you should be able to enter the default username/password which is vmadmin/password and then hit enter to login.
http://howtoforums.net/vubuntus.html

Now, as for VMware tools installation....VubuntuS comes with VMware Tools pre-installed so no need...
It mite not be the latest version but in any case before you go to replace it I would suggest you read up about installing VMware tools in Ubuntu as it is not automatically done like in Windows. To make a long story short, when you click on "Install VMware tools" from the console menu then all it does is mount the cdrom drive with a virtual directory which then you have to manually extract the vmware-tools tar file and run the installer.

Good luck,
Jacob
tgp1994

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. So when I type my password, is it supposed to be hidden in asteriks (*) or is it not supposed to be seen at all?

Also, I find that I can't exactly launch any applications. Why is that?

jacob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Ok, thanks. So when I type my password, is it supposed to be hidden in asteriks (*) or is it not supposed to be seen at all?

its supposed to be hidden completely.

Quote:

Also, I find that I can't exactly launch any applications. Why is that?

i assume from this that you successfully loged in and are attempting to click on the icons on the fluxbox desktop, well you mite not be clicking fast enough. Either double click faster or use the right click application menu.

Kind regards,
Jacob
tgp1994

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I guess I kind of moved onto the latest Ubuntu OS. I've been told that you may have to launch certain applications with this kudo command prefixed, which works, but the Perl script that comes with VMWare doesn't seem to do anything. Oh well. So, can I install this webmin and MySQL into Vbuntus?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HowToForums.net Forum Index -> Servers & Applications All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: